I think chicken may be the go-to protein for many homes.
In this home however, its never been my first pick.
I know that chicken is wonderful for many reasons.
But despite all it has to offer I just can’t bring myself to truly loving it.
Now of course, I know I can’t eat red meat and pork chops every day, or at least that’s what my parents tell me. So I’m always trying to come up with chicken recipes that I can bring myself to truly enjoying.
This shredded chicken and rice bowl has become one of those chicken recipes I truly enjoy!
It’s easy to make and doesn’t require too many ingredients to bring it together!
Ingredients(serves 2 people)
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Extra virgin olive (for browning)
- about 1 tbsp tomato paste
- about 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- A few dashes of hot sauce and Italian dressing (I like Franks Red Hot and Wish Bone dressing)
- Cut your chicken breast in half (for faster cooking) and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Brown on both sides with about half a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or whatever oil you prefer, on medium-high heat.
- Cover the chicken and cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now comes the shredding part. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with a knife and fork.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot, stir in the tomato paste and cooking wine. (You can also use chicken broth if you prefer instead of the wine)
- Then cover it for another few minutes to allow the flavors to combine. (You can also add some chopped cilantro at this point)
- Once the chicken is done you can serve it over white rice. Top the chicken with shredded lettuce and give the lettuce a few dashes of Italian dressing. Then top the lettuce with some sour cream and finish off with a few shakes of hot sauce over everything.