Chicken is the go-to protein of choice in many households.
In this home however, its never been my first pick.
Ok, so I know what everyone thinks about chicken. It’s affordable, goes with practically everything, and it can be a healthy option if we go with the boneless, skinless (dry, sigh) white meat.
Despite all of the above I just can’t bring myself to truly loving chicken. But wait just a minute and allow me to be as clear as a sunny day, I’m not trying to say that I hate chicken. Hate would be such a strong word for that innocent feathered friend that never did anything to me anyway. I simply don’t prefer it over say red meat or pork chops and I’ve been like that ever since I can remember.
As a young girl I think the only time I really enjoyed chicken was when my mom would make her whole roast chicken. The woman seems to have that recipe down to a science and her roast chicken has never failed to bring joy to my tummy.
Oh and I can’t forget how much I loved the 4 piece chicken nuggets value meal at Mcdonalds (is that even real chicken?….and don’t act like you never ordered the chicken nuggets at Mickey D’s when you were a kid, or the cheeseburger, or the fries, or the apple pie, or the fruit parfait when you decided to live a healthier life)
Anyway, I know I can’t eat red meat and pork chops every day, or at least that’s what my parents tell me, so I’m always trying to come up with chicken recipes that I can bring myself to truly enjoying.
This shredded chicken and rice bowl has become one of those go-to chicken recipes at dinner time.
Its easy, fun and husband approved.
All that together makes it a winner in my recipe book, and by recipe book I mean the notes app in my iPhone along with some post-it notes scattered all throughout my kitchen.
Ingredients(serves 2 people)
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Extra virgin olive for browning
- about 1 tbsp tomato paste
- about 1/4 cup Goya white cooking wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded lettuce (I like Dole brand)
- Sour cream
- A few dashes of hot sauce and Italian dressing (I like Franks Red Hot and Wish Bone dressing)
- Cut your chicken breast in half (for faster cooking) and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Brown on both sides with about half a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or whatever oil you prefer, on medium-high heat. Mine took about six minutes on the first side and about four on the other side.
- Cover the chicken and cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now comes the shredding part. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with a knife and fork.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot, stir in the tomato paste and cooking wine. You can use chicken broth or white wine if you prefer instead of the cooking wine since it’s high in sodium. I don’t cook very much with cooking wine and I think it gives the chicken a nice flavor so I don’t mind using it for this recipe.
- Then cover it for another few minutes to allow the flavors to combine. I had some cilantro in the fridge so I chopped that up and added it to the chicken along with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before I covered it. This is optional though.
- Once the chicken is done you can serve it over white rice. Top the chicken with shredded lettuce and give the lettuce a few dashes of Italian dressing. Then top the lettuce with some sour cream and finish off with a few shakes of hot sauce over everything.